top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the hiring process like?
    Once we have received your resume, it will be reviewed to determine which opportunities best fit your background. One of our Coordinators will then contact you for an initial phone screening, at which point we will set up a Skype/FaceTime interview. This video interview generally lasts 20-30 minutes. At this point, we will understand your preferences and match you with suitable opportunities. You will then interview directly with school(s) via Skype/FaceTime/"WeChat". If you and the school decide to move forward, AEA will work with you to finalize all contract arrangements. From there, the task is to process the relevant documents/certificates and make travel arrangements.
  • How long is the application process to teach in China?
    The application process is approximately 8 weeks in total. Generally, that equates to 1 week for interview(s) and school matching; 3 weeks to complete document notarization and authentication (university degree certificate and police background check); 3 weeks for school to apply for the work permit; 1 week to process z visa application.
  • What types of schools does AEA work with?
    Our partner schools in China include: Public Primary, Middle and High Schools, International Schools, Preschools and Universities. Rest assured, the reason our teacher salaries are the best in the industry is because our schools are also the best in the industry. You will learn more about our schools from your AEA Coordinator and the schools themselves during your interview process.
  • What cities can I work in?
    AEA has partner schools located in over 25 cities throughout mainland China, including Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Tianjin and Chongqing. Your AEA coordinator will work with you to identify which cities and teaching opportunites best fit you.
  • How long are teaching contracts?
    Contracts generally last 10-11 months and start in mid-August (beginning of the school year) or mid-January/February (beginning of the Spring semester). So as to provide stablility to the school and its students, we ask that you fulfill the entire contract. Should you wish to extend it for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year...or, if you would like to teach at another school in another city, AEA will be happy to assist you.
  • Can my spouse/partner and I teach together at the same school in China?
    We strongly encourage teaching couples to apply with AEA, as schools generally prefer to hire couples. Both members of the teaching couple would be required to submit their resume to AEA and complete our pre-screening requirements. Please note, factors such as number of dependent children and teaching preferences may affect applicant competitiveness.
  • Does AEA help ESL and EFL teachers find positions at language schools in China?
    While we do have a select number of partners for such positions, in general, we do not assist ESL and EFL teachers. We work almost entirely with 'mainstream' schools that use English as their language of instruction.
  • Do I need a TEFL/ TESOL certificate?
    Since most of AEA's teaching positions are not for ESL/EFL teachers, a TEFL/TESOL certificate is not usually required.
  • Does AEA charge any fees to teachers?
    No. AEA is financially compensated by our partner schools. We provide personal and caring support to each teacher to ensure the best fit between school and teacher.
bottom of page